Traveling abroad can be an exhilarating experience, but it also comes with its own set of challenges, one of which is managing finances in a foreign country. For German travelers, understanding how to access funds while overseas is crucial. This guide will provide essential tips on withdrawing money abroad and highlight the best credit cards for travel from Germany, focusing on Deutsche Kreditkarte, DKB, Miles and More, and Awa7.
Accessing Funds While Abroad
1. Using ATMs Overseas
- Check Compatibility: Before traveling, ensure that your debit or credit card is internationally accepted.
- Inform Your Bank: Notify your bank of your travel plans to avoid any security blocks on your card.
- Understand the Fees: Be aware of transaction fees for foreign ATM withdrawals and currency conversion charges.
2. Currency Exchange
- Avoid Airport Exchanges: While convenient, currency exchange counters at airports often have high fees and unfavorable exchange rates.
- Local Banks and Exchange Bureaus: Look for local banks or recommended exchange bureaus with better rates.
3. Cash is King
- Carrying Some Local Currency: Always have a small amount of local currency for places that don’t accept cards or in case of card issues.
Best Credit Cards for German Travelers
Deutsche Kreditbank offers a range of credit card options suitable for travelers. However, specific details regarding their travel-friendly features are not readily available. It’s recommended to contact Deutsche Kreditbank directly for the most current information on their travel credit card offerings.
DKB (Deutsche Kreditbank AG)
DKB offers the DKB-Cash Visa Card, which is particularly advantageous for travelers:
- Fee: €2.49 per month.
- No foreign transaction fees.
- Free emergency cover.
- Optional insurance packages.
- Emergency Package: In case of a stolen wallet abroad, DKB can provide an emergency card or emergency cash (fees apply if certain conditions are not met).
Miles and More
Miles and More, in partnership with DKB, provides a range of credit card options. One notable offering is the Miles & More Mastercard Gold:
- Fee: €9.16 per month.
- Earn miles for purchases.
- Premium travel insurance included.
- 4000 miles welcome bonus.
- Travel cancellation & interruption insurance.
- Car rental comprehensive cover.
Information specific to the Awa7 credit card was not found during the search. It’s recommended to directly consult Awa7 for details on their travel-friendly credit card options.
Other Notable Mentions
- Barclay Visa Credit Card: No extra charge on international payments and withdrawals, Apple Pay & Google Pay support, and payment plans available starting at 0% interest.
- Miles & More Service Card: Two-factor authentication for secure access, along with a range of customer service options to assist travelers.
Tips for Using Credit Cards Abroad
- Notify Your Card Issuer: Inform your credit card company about your travel dates and destination.
- Check for International Fees: Some cards have foreign transaction fees, so choose one that doesn’t or has lower rates.
- Backup Payment Options: Carry more than one type of card (Visa, MasterCard, etc.) and have some cash as a backup.
- Keep Contact Numbers Handy: Have your bank’s international customer service number in case you need to report a lost or stolen card.
For German travelers, selecting the right credit card for overseas use is crucial. Cards like the DKB-Cash Visa Card, Miles & More Mastercard Gold, and Barclay Visa Credit Card offer significant advantages for international travel, from waived foreign transaction fees to valuable travel insurance. Remember to always have multiple payment methods and to understand the terms and fees associated with your chosen card to ensure a hassle-free travel experience.