TikTok now allows switching your For You feed from algorithmically sorted content to a purely chronological display. Here’s how to change the setting.
Under the EU’s new Digital Services Act, major platforms must give users the choice between algorithmic and chronological feeds. TikTok has added this option alongside competitors like Instagram.
By default, TikTok’s For You feed shows posts ranked by engagement and tailored to your interests by AI. But you can now view recently posted content instead.
Accessing the Chronological Feed
To switch to a chronological feed on TikTok:
- Open the TikTok app and tap the “Following” tab at the top or the “Friends” tab at the bottom.
- This will display posts from accounts you follow in reverse chronological order.
- To return to the algorithmic For You feed, simply go back to the main TikTok page.
You’ll need to manually switch to the Following or Friends feed each time you open the app to maintain the chronological view.
Why Offer Chronological Sorting?
The option provides more transparency around how posts are surfaced. Users can choose between AI-driven relevance or unfiltered timeliness.
Chronological sorting also prevents issues like filter bubbles, where users only see content that matches their existing interests and viewpoints.
While less personalized, chronological feeds give users more control over their experiences on social platforms.
- TikTok now lets you switch to a chronological feed from personalized algorithmic sorting.
- Tap “Following” or “Friends” when opening the app to see latest posts first.
- Chronological order avoids filter bubbles and provides more transparency.
- The choice aligns with EU Digital Services Act requirements.
TikTok’s added chronological feed option aligns with evolving demands for transparency in social media feeds. Users now have more say in how their content is curated.